>

Mum says she was ‘eaten alive by bed bugs’ at Pontins’ chalet

A holidaymaker says she ended up with dozens of painful scars after being bitten by bed bugs at a Pontins chalet. Leesa Dean went to the holiday park at Prestatyn in north Wales with friends, but claims the £1277 stay became a holiday from hell. She said that apart from a bed bug infestation, her chalet was covered in mouse droppings, had mould on the windowsills, dirty dishes in the sink and leftover rotten food on work tops. Leesa claimed that her and her friends cleaned it up themselves on their arrival before site cleaners arrived the next day – but a couple of days later she fell ill and broke out in a serious rash. Leesa, from Ayrshire in Scotland, said: “I was shocked at the state of the place and it was pretty clear it hadn’t been cleaned for our arrival. “It was absolutely disgusting. I complained to reception but was told there would be no cleaners on the site until the following day. “Our only option was to go to a nearby supermarket to buy products and scrub the place ourselves. “At 4pm the following day, the cleaners finally showed up but by that point we’d already gutted the place.” The Daily Record reported that Leesa began to feel unwell over the next couple of days and then broke out in a rash. She feared it was an allergic reaction to something she had eaten but, by the time she was checking out to go home, she was covered in bite marks all over her back, neck, shoulders and groin. She said: “I’ve never encountered bed bugs before and the journey home was horrendous. “I had to continuously stop the car to be sick and apply cream to sooth my arms and shoulders, which were on fire. “Thankfully, I managed to get an emergency appointment with my doctor because I was in agony. “By this time the marks were all over me and I was so distressed. “After blood tests and an examination, I was told I had come into contact with bed bugs and that can only have been from the mattress I slept on while on holiday. “I was totally disgusted. Knowing I had spent time lying in an infested bed turned my stomach. It was just awful.” A few days later Leesa returned to her doctor and was told they had caused an infection in her blood. She was given steroid cream and put on a course of strong antibiotics and has been left with scarring from the bites. She said: “We’ve been to the camp several times over the years and I’ve never experienced anything like this. “We know it’s not a five-star luxury resort but I still expect it to be clean. We paid a lot of money to stay in a filthy apartment. “From start to finish, the entire holiday was awful. I’d never return.” Leesa says the experience has left her feeling depressed, anxious and ashamed of her appearance. She said: “I can’t show off my shoulders or back because I’ve been left with scars. I feel disgusted at how I look. “Simple thing like taking a shower was very painful and it really starts get to you down.” Leesa has complained to Pontins and was told the company had carried out a